The main goals of this project are the following:
- To carry out empirical, corpus-based English-Spanish analyses in the areas of contrastive grammar, rhetoric and phraseology.
- To study the uses of translated language as opposed to those of native language.
- To build useful and usable tools for research, such as ad hoc corpora, taggers, browsers, phrase grabbers, etc. to facilitate the study of specific text types.
- To produce:
- Writing applications addressed to Spanish language non-linguist users in different professional fields and contexts, i.e. text generators,
- Tools for translation quality assessment (TQA).
- Bi-text producing devices, dictionary aids, training aids and other communication aids intended to help improve internationalization and marketability of products and services.
The tools and applications produced are intended for a wide range of users, such as non-linguist professionals in a variety of fields, language services providers, students, trainers, researchers and anyone whose job involves working with the language pair English-Spanish.